Wednesday, March 2, 2011

VOIP and Draytek Routers

Damn & blast.

Updated the firmware on one of my 2820 routers and lo & behold I'd forgotten to take a recent settings backup. Most of it was there, but I lost the damn SIP settings which hook into there Draytel account that I have for backup phone calls and worse, the Telrad box at work.

So I no longer have my extension, and the biggest problem is that these took ages to get right. I thought I'd made some notes some place - I usually do something on the basis I can always grep for it. But do you think I can find them ? Grrrrrrr...........

If I do, I'll post them back here both for myself, and anyone else that is interested.

Living in Spain I wasn't sure which firmware to go for. The latest International release for a 2820 can be had from here :


At the current moment it is 3.3.5.1 I hope it's better than 3.3.4 which on one of my routers was nothing short of the death knell for it (the Vn one). However on the standard one, it's run very well.

Funny thing as well. I have two Telefonica lines. One connects via PPoE and the other PPoA. Why ????? Don't get that at all. Certainly the PPoE connected one seems to have the better speed - around 10Mb connection speed compared to 6.5M reported on the other.

Still, it's way better than my ones in the office in the UK. And we live halfway up a long dirt track and a reasonable distance from anywhere. Spain might be backwards, but IF you can get a line, the ADSL is pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment