Monday, July 2, 2012

Euro 2012 Spain vs Italy - boring ????

Well, I like a bit of footie now and again. One thing that has really ticked me off is the amount of (mainly English) football followers who accuse Spain of being 'boring'.

Would they say the same if it was England that had just won playing the same style as Spain ? I doubt it.

At the end of the day, sport is about winning. Not the manner of winning. Yes, we all love to see great excitement or whatever. But in the final analysis, we remember the winners, not the also rans.

Remember England when they won the Rugby World Cup ? I remember when they beat Wales in a very scrappy game. Interviewed afterwards, the press gave Martin Johnson a hard time about their performance. His response ? They are on the plane home and we are still here.

And went on to win. We enjoyed the success. No moaning about boring rugby then.

And ultimately both players and managers depend on success for their livelihoods. How many managers keep their jobs for playing 'entertaining' football when their team loses ? Win, by whatever means, and you keep your job. Lose, and you are back on the streets.

The answer is not to criticise Spain for being good, but finding a way to beat them.

In my own opinion, I happen to love the style of football that Spain play. They are intelligent and patient. That takes a special kind of skill which no one else seems to have at the minute. They play the football I was taught as a kid. Pass and move. One touch football.

Fans have a choice. Enjoy the kick about Premier League and accept England will win nothing, or realise that PL football might be 'more entertaining' in their eyes, but has long been superceded by something more sublime and intelligent. England is stuck in the past. The game has moved on. The English teams that do well in Europe are those that use a more European model, and usually using European players........

Fans need to wise up. The only way to get England to win is to stop moaning and start playing more intelligent football. And get more English players playing.

So please don't criticise Spain for being boring. They won.

2 European Championships, and a World Cup.

I'd love to see England win just one of those in a lifetime. But I realise that I never will whilst English football is supported by fans with absolutely no appreciation of anything beyond kick and rush village football.

In the meantime I resign myself to the fact that I have been privileged enough to witness history being made, and what will probably go down as one of the best football teams that has ever graced a field. And I remember watching Pele play....

I love the way the Spanish play. It's fascinating, clever, and intelligent. And I look forward to watching a lot more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment