Monday, July 7, 2014

Draytek Vigor 120 UK and international differences

Well, my goat is got.

Draytek are ripping off UK customers BIG time.

In my earlier post I noted that I discovered that not all Draytek models are equal.

Particularly the Vigor 120. The UK version is basically just a dumb modem. Holds the line and passes everything to whatever is behind it.

But the New Zealand (and Australian, and possibly others) are a massively more powerful device - they are effectively a cut down 2820/2830 with just 1 x WAN and 1 x LAN port. But a full blown router. Nice bit of kit.......

Lets have a look at the manuals and compare the details.

UK model :

Here is the UK Vigor 120 manual :

http://www.reetspetit.com/Dox/QS-Vigor120-V1_3U.pdf


Typical cost :

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/7898-draytek-v120/

Price : GBP 56 inc VAT and shipping



NZD Model :

Here is the New Zealand Vigor 120 manual :

http://www.reetspetit.com/Dox/UG-Vigor120-V1.3.pdf


And a typical price :

http://nicegear.co.nz/routers/draytek-vigor-120-adsl2-modemrouter-with-bridge/

Price : NZD 97 in Tax & shipping


Current rate GBP - NZD : 1.98



So I can buy an infinitely superior piece of kit in NZ for the same price as a dumb modem in the UK.

The first question is why ? I know that a lot of companies think that the UK is low hanging fruit with rich pickings. I know that there are lots of rip offs with pricing in the UK. So my guess is that is the simple answer - because they can.

The second is what else are they doing it on ?

 I have written and complained after they removed two posts on their forums as they didn't like my 'tone' i.e. telling people they are being ripped off.  They have admitted that the models are different. I have asked for an official response and will post it here if I get it.

Either way, I always rated Draytek pretty highly for both equipment and support. I have used and recommended little else for a long time, and have an awful lot of their gear. I'm afraid to say that those days are behind me now.

Yes, the kit is pretty good for the price, but the company behind it have dropped their standards massively as they have grown. Times change. Things move on. I am going to vote with my feet.

 I have written and complained after they removed two posts on their forums as they didn't like my 'tone' i.e. telling people they are being ripped off.  They have admitted that the models are different. I have asked for an official response and will post it here if I get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment