Sunday, July 27, 2014

Thunderbird message window To/Subject line cockup

Jeez I get pissed off with smartarse developers making changes to a perfectly good UI because they want to make a name for themselves.

Windows 8 is the classic fail of all time.

Thunderbird 31 has seriously pissed me off.

I had already tried to post to the thunderbird planning list about unnecessary changes and was censored because I wasn't politically correct.


"This seems a little mean-spirited to me. Why would you assume that the developers were just changing things needlessly, or just for the sake of change? Why not choose to believe that they’re acting in good faith, doing the right thing, as they see it?"

"Because"  I replied "I have seen it too many times before....."


A couple of days later I get an update to Thunderbird 31 and Lo ! Yet another designer inspired needless change and mess.....

Bugs are here :

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1042732
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1042780
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunderbird/+bug/1347305

A workaround is here :

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2798693

It isn't perfect but works (on Linux)

Devs, PLEASE stop screwing around with a UI that has been basically unchanged for a long time because it WORKS.

If you are going to change it, ask ME first. Stop assuming you know better than me just because you are a developer. It does not give you automatic god status.

And don't tell me it's great cos lots of people are using it - most get changed foisted on them and can't be arsed to complain or know how or where to file a bug.

Again from Mozilla/TB :

"Also, I’ve been looking into some of the data behind FF29, and it turns out that more people are using more of its features for longer periods of time. Hardly what I would call a “mess”."

I replied

"What, all 5 users that are left ? :-)

You can prove anything with statistics, but you don't always get the truth..... YMMV.....

How about how many users have Mozilla lost to PaleMoon ?

More of it's features ? What are those then ? You really are making me laugh.

I don't use any features in particular beyond typing in a URL, reading / using the site (the primary objective of a browser) possibly bookmarking it, downloading a file.

I guess if you mean people are spending longer buried in the 'wonderful' pop out menu because they can't find a damn thing they want, it won't shut, opens horrendously slowly, or crashes the browser, takes ages to load all the preinstalled junk links etc then yes I can imagine they DO spend longer in there.

Not what I want quite frankly."

Idiots.

No comments:

Post a Comment